Whether it's Spring, Summer, Winter or Fall, we at Sierrah Acres believe in embracing all seasons with a positive attitude!
Change is an ongoing fact of life and learning lessons through adapting to a new environment can be challenging and rewarding all at once. By simply spending time encouraged to be your true self and taking part in carefully planned out, interactive activities with the horses, children will be able to view themselves and get their wheels turning in a unique way. This is why we prefer to call this opportunity for our young people a Winter Playshop, rather than a Workshop.
This is one place where horseplay IS allowed!
Equine Assisted Youth Winter WorkPlayshops
Participants will be gently guided through specific life-skill topics that refer to us as humans and how that relates also to our equine friends. Youth will quickly learn how to use and enhance their communication skills, in a way that is specifically needed when dealing with these magnificent prey animals. Horses - being one hundred percent present at all times - will give honest, non-judgemental and immediate feed back every single time. The results of this special communication are learned through mild metaphors rather than lengthy verbal discussion. While learning the language of "horse", youth will also learn about themselves, build on a foundation of self-confidence, and take away valuable information into their real world - all in a whole new light.
Ideal for a growing life-skills toolbox in the areas of:
- Self-care and compassion
- Understanding and adapting to change
- Communication and socialization
- Patience and responsibility
- Fear, trust and the importance of practice
While much of our time spent will be in the midst of a fresh and wholesome outdoor environment with the horses, there will also be the opportunity to enjoy an indoor lunch, hot chocolate and warm-up breaks, craft and table talk activities, and more.
Saturday, February 4th, 11th, 18th and 25th
Playshop Two - will take place over four consecutive Saturdays in March/April 2017.
Saturday, March 11th, 18th, 25th and April 1st
*Our days begin at 9:30 am and finish at 4:30 pm.
Some extra details:
- The winter program is open for registration for youth ages 8-14. No experience with horses is necessary.
- All activities are facilitated by a certified Equine Assisted Personal Development (EAPD) Coach and assisted by qualified and enthusiastic volunteers. Our volunteers have had Criminal Record Checks (CRCs), and most have their First Aid/CPR training.
- Participants are asked to bring their own lunch - extra snacks and beverages will be provided.
- Our plans are to run the program regardless of weather unless conditions are extreme, in which case the activities would be scheduled for the next day, being Sunday.
- Dressing in extra layers, along with appropriate head, hand and footwear for winter is a priority. Listening ahead for weather forecasts is always suggested.
The cost is $260.00 per participant, per 4-day Playshop, all inclusive.
Our groups are kept small intentionally so that we can provide the most personalized experience for each individual. At the time of booking and in order to reserve a spot for your child, a completed registration form along with a non-refundable 50% deposit is required. Balance is due one week prior to the start up of programs.